Up a Creek Without a Paddle: When On-Demand Storage Isn’t Available
As Livible continues to grow, we’re seeing an increase in the stress inducing trend of self-storage businesses converting their space to other “higher uses” leaving their customers to quickly find an alternative solution.
While that may great for the property owner, it can be a massive burden for self-storage unit renters. Usually, the notice is short and finding the time and help to move your possessions is not easy. That leaves you in a lurch and adds a crazy amount of stress to what is already a stressful situation.
What is On-Demand Storage?
In markets and areas that Livible serves, the solution to being ousted by a greedy self-storage facility is actually really easy – we’ll come to your storage unit, pickup and inventory your items and move them to our secure warehouse facility. You can organize all of this from our app or our site. And you’ll get 15% off your current storage bill, what’s not to love?
Don’t Have Livible On-Demand Storage?
Unfortunately, there are some areas that Livible isn’t currently serving. If you get left high and dry by a self-storage facility or if you’re suddenly unable to stay in your current home, we’ve put together a few tips to get you (and your belongings) back where they need to be.
- Contact other self-storage facilities in the area and explain your situation. Search “cheap storage units near me” and ask those facilities if they can give you a hand. Some may have loaner vehicles to help with the move or can provide the name of preferred movers that they have arrangements with for their customers.
- Many hands make for quick work and more fun! Thank those who were able to help you with a pizza and beverage party.
- Ask potential self-storage facilities for their new customer deals and if they will provide a lower rate than you are currently paying. For longer term rentals they should be glad your business.
- Be sure that you confirm that the same size space is available at the new facility. You don’t want to end up in a larger space that you don’t need. It will cost you more in the long run.
- A move from your current location is the perfect time to assess what you have in storage. It could finally be time to donate that extra sofa, bureau or box of winter coats. It also allows you to downsize your storage cost and help those who are less fortunate.
- Be sure to broom clean the empty unit as many self-storage facilities will charge a cleaning fee even if the are converting the property. Better safe than sorry.
Hopefully, these tips will make the stressful situation of a forced storage move a little less so, if you find you are not in one of our markets.
Awesome service has made Livible is the #1 Full Service Storage provider in:
Boston, Portland & Seattle
Coming soon to the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles and more cities!
Easily store your stuff with pickup & delivery to your door
Livible is safer, easier, more convenient and will save you 15% compared to self-storage. Get your Guaranteed Estimate to learn your exact cost and savings. And there's no sales tax either!Select Your Storage Unit Size Get Your Guaranteed Estimate